Today was a bit of a strange writing day. After spending the week trying to work on Chapter 1, I decided to rewrite it. It’s not that I changed the plot or the characters. I simply went back over it and wrote it with more of the original manuscript in mind.
To explain (for those of you who might not know), I wrote this book years ago, then got sidetracked with another huge story (five books, actually) that I self-published. When I came back to this one (The King’s Son), my writing had developed a lot. So I thought it was a good idea to expand upon what I had written. And that’s what I did.
But going over it again, I’ve found that it doesn’t speak to me quite like it should. I don’t feel a part of the story and the characters. I’m not in love with it.
Since, for me, the more I love it the better the story is, I knew I had to do something to get that feeling back.
Rewriting has helped.
For the most part, I took out the character development I had added. The first chapter is simply about something horrible that happens. I don’t explain what the men are doing or why. I don’t get into much dialogue (inner or otherwise). It’s simple and to the point.
And that’s the way I write best.
That thought had actually come to me last night while I was sitting at my sister’s house listening to five women talk about their children. It was nothing they had said that got me to think that. It was just when it came to me.
I had been thinking about how this version of the story was killing me. I had been thinking of how much fun Glory had been to write, even though it was close to 300,000 words. And I had tried to figure out the difference between the two.
It came down to keeping things simple. Yes, just like my grade three teacher had told me with that whole K.I.S.S. approach.
I had to make each chapter about one idea. And I had to make that chapter read fast.
So that’s what I’ve done. At least, I think that’s what I’ve done.
Hopefully I can do that to the rest of the story.